Sunday 12 June 2016

Use a Metronome.

I have spent at least a few thousands of hours playing and practicing with a metronome in my life as a guitar player. The benefits are nothing short of staggering and I would recommend it to any and all that play guitar and want to improve.

Music can be simply defined as 'notes in time' and that definition should compel me as a musician to take the 'time' part of the equation seriously. I remember a very famous respected studio musician saying that "notes are secondary", and that, from a modern perspective gives 'time' a little more weight and importance than 'notes'.

Using a metronome can be challenging at the start. To have a tempo or beat clicking in your ears as you play will take some time to get used to. Start off with simply hitting one note per metronome beat as you ascend through a simple pentatonic scale and then you can graduate to two, three or four notes per metronome beast in the future.

I use the metronome to practice scales, chord rhythm, song parts, and to develop speed and good phrasing in melodies and guitar runs. I usually practice with slower speed settings so my playing remains flawless but some guitarist really push the tempo to play as fast as they can for the purposes of their style of music.

If you buying a metronome, find one that has a pleasing sound that you will be able to listen to for hour without irritation or ear fatigue. I like small metronomes that can travel with me easily and that have the tone of a woodblock.

If you get to the place where you're playing music professionally, there is no way to avoid playing to some kind of metronome, so follow Vinnie's advice below.


Vinnie Colaiuta (drummer - Sting)


2 comments:

  1. Tim, I don't plan to comment on every blog you post, I promise! But again, you caught my attention. I usually practise to pre-recored loops, which is a little more interesting than a metronome. But I often find that spontaneity and flow go out the window when recording to the unforgiving advance of a click track. So I read with interest recently that the best way to get used to a click track (or a metronome for that matter) is to hear it as the off beats--2 and 4 (in 4/4 time) rather than 1 and 3. Somehow, even though it's the same relentless beat, it is more spacious and allows for a more natural groove. I've only read this, mind you, and not tried it. But reading your post makes me want to go try it now. Because, as you say, right notes do not make up for bad rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, Brian. G.K. Chesterton said, "the best part of a picture is the frame". I think he speaks well of how the best art is made or observed within limits and is communicated well to the heart and mind because those limit are natural to us as children of God. So the 'frame' can be modified to the artist needs in a given style.

      Delete